Shut Up & Write

You love it. You loathe it.
Either way, you can't help yourself. You are one of us.
(You are also a masochist. But that's OK.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Struggling (and more often fighting) writer by trade, and office monkey when I need to pay my bills. It's an enviable life.
I know, you're probably a little jealous now.
It's perfectly understandable.

December 28, 2008

Home again, home again, jiggity jig



... Y'know, I don't even remember when or where I picked up that expression.

Somewhere delightfully infantile, I'm sure.

As per this year's Xmas theme, getting home from Nova Scotia was a total nightmare. Approximately 18 hours of travel and airport waiting. By 4 am, I had lost all patience and calm. Got to bed just after 5 (although felt like 6 am, due to time difference) and succeeded in not killing anyone in violent, unnecessary ways.

In happier news, I had my first meal today since the revisiting of Christmas dinner for 24 hours. I had almost two McD's cheeseburgers (don't ask me why, but I find them strangely comforting after I've been unwell) and a handful of fries. Nothing terribly horrendous happened, so I celebrated with some fried rice for dinner.

My apartment looks like a store vomited all over it.

On a completely unrelated note, have you ever found yourself strangely obsessed by the actual sound of a word? The meaning is irrelevant. Simply that the words rolls around in your mouth in a pleasant way is joy enough.

Like "kumquat." Hard clicks and soft "mmm"s. Or "vulva." All teeth against the lower lip and forced-out vowels.

Yet the word that popped into my head today which has been making me giggle is not that interesting, either in meaning or as some kind of alliterative joy.

"Goiter." [n. A noncancerous enlargement of the thyroid gland, visible as a swelling at the front of the neck, that is often associated with iodine deficiency. Also called struma.]

But it really sounds like it would be an excellent insult.
"Bloody goiter." "Hey, goiter -- get your ass in gear!" "Where did you meet that goiter?"

Sometimes I even impress (slash disgust) myself with my love for things inane.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Home again, home again" thing was in Blade Runner.

11:12 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Marty? You were here? And I missed you?

Make up a yahoo account and send the email address to me at rohunte@gmail.com and I'll add you to the list of people who can access my blog. I feels it's important you're there. We need each other, like little lost penguins...

Tiny penguin hugs,

r.xx.

8:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home