Shut Up & Write

You love it. You loathe it.
Either way, you can't help yourself. You are one of us.
(You are also a masochist. But that's OK.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Struggling (and more often fighting) writer by trade, and office monkey when I need to pay my bills. It's an enviable life.
I know, you're probably a little jealous now.
It's perfectly understandable.

August 8, 2008

Whoopsie!



I didn't think anyone would notice when I clammed up for a bit.

But for a while, I've realized that I've become dreadfully silent on my blog. Maybe it was a turn when an unexpected encounter made me turn inward and vague. Maybe it was was lack of things to say.

Maybe it was simply because I couldn't bear to put into writing how I really feel about myself, and the direction my life has turned.

Things have gone from hard to worse. Financially, I'm probably at the most penniless I've ever been in my life. Am thinking of cancelling my cell phone (which is already on the cheapest plan I can find). I'm further in debt, and the "inbox" has slowed to a trickle. I can barely explain this to people I know, because very few people understand the concept of "no money." Not in the sense of third-world poverty or homelessness, of course. Just in the sense of having no disposable income, no investments, no savings... just debt. Counting down to the cent. Feeling guilty for splurging on a drink at Starbucks. Shuffling around your bill payments so you don't end up with creditors snarling at you over the phone.

I think the words I'm looking for are "professional failure."

I never expected any of this to be easy. But the last few months have sort of driven me to a point where I realize that my lifestyle as it stands will have to end. For a little while, at least. I have until December 31, 2008 -- if I can survive that long -- before I switch all gears, and investigate new things. Office things. God, how I hate the idea!

Ironically, my writing has only improved over the last little while. More focus, better results. Better (in my eyes) writing. Hell, I even started a BOOK. It's a little odd, but I'm having great fun with it so far. It's not the serious novel I always imagined writing... but it's 100 per cent me, and I think that's more important.

I've also been working on screenplays, which I find great fun, due to my affection for dialogue. Over-affection, perhaps.

Other than that, I keep busy. Walking. Biking. Going to the pool. Occasionally whoring myself out to temp job I despise.

I was never ready for success before. Now I'm ready... but I wonder if it may have passed me by.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What better proof could there be that money doesn't buy happiness. Of course, lots and lots and lots of money buys you the freedom to pursue happiness, but that's different.

I don't envy you being forced to choose paid work over the writing you enjoy so much.

Here's hoping that your writing will soon bring you lots and lots and lots of money.

4:05 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

that's lots and lots of 'lots and lots', marty.

marty, for some unacountable reason i thought of you when i was in da lat. i think it was the unending, unremitting drizzle. wet. non-stop dullness. cold and damp.

word association, see?

kisses,

r.xx.

4:59 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home